How often have you walked on a freshly salted road and worried if the salt will ruin your boots? Probably often, if you live in an environment that has snowy winters. But have no fear, the ugg cleaning wizard is here. Before you go on with this how-to guide you’ve to check if your uggs for salt stains. You can recognize a salt stain by it’s color: white. If you aren’t sure check with the photo in this post. Now we know we’re treating the correct stain we can continue and clean the salt off of your uggs.
How to Clean Salt Off Uggs in 6 Steps
- First of all, you need to know what uggs are made of. The materials used to make ugg boots greatly affects the course of action in caring for them. Ugg boots are made of genuine Australian sheepskin. Sheepskin is durable but delicate and needs to be treated with care. Proceed with caution so you don’t destroy the material.
- Next, you should invest in a bottle of Ugg sheepskin cleaner and conditioner. A bottle of this cleaner is available for around $8 on Amazon.com (buy here) and is specially formulated to clean the sheepskin material without being too rough. A soft, generic sponge can be purchased at any store for under a dollar.
- Once you have obtained a bottle of the sheepskin cleaner, moisten (do not soak) the affected area with cold water. You should be doing this with a very soft wash cloth by hand, NEVER USE a washing machine.
- Dilute the sheepskin cleaner with equal parts water and cleaner, but do NOT apply it directly to your boots. Put a small amount of the diluted cleaner on a wet sponge instead. Scrub the affected area on the boots very gently. Being too aggressive with your scrubbing or applying the cleaner without diluting it first will destroy your boots. You certainly don’t want that to happen.
- After you have thoroughly scrubbed the salt-ridden areas, rinse the boots by hand in cold water. Crumple up some paper and stuff it inside of the boots for the sake of preserving the proper shape of the boots. Allow the boots to air dry naturally, but do not put them in direct sunlight or near a heat source.
- Once the ugg boots are completely dry, use a suede or nubuck brush to lightly brush the material in one direction. Once you have completed this step, your ugg boots should be good as new!
How to Keep Your Uggs Clean in the Future
To prevent having to undergo this cleaning process in the future, the obvious thing to do is avoid walking on salty roads or sidewalks. In addition, you should treat your ugg boots with a sheepskin water and stain repellent (available on Amazon.com for only $8, buy through this link) before ever wearing them out of the house. This repellent will provide a protective shield between your boots and all of nature’s wonders.
Alternative Ugg Cleaning Methods
If you can’t obtain the recommended sheepskin cleaner, there are a few alternative cleaning methods you can try. However, these are not guaranteed and can actually make the salt stain worse. One method is as simple as using a baby wipe. Another method is to use a half-and-half white vinegar and water solution to dissolve the salt. For either of these alternative methods on how to clean salt off uggs, be sure just to blot the salt stain as opposed to rubbing. Do not use any harsh cleaners that contain chemicals.
Conclusion and Final Tip!
Following these simple steps to clean your ugg boots and prevent future damage will insure you get a long life out of your boots. A little bit of care goes a long way. Instead of buying the Ugg conditioner and repellent bottles separately and spending $16 you can also buy the Ugg sheepskin care kit which contains:
- the Ugg stain & water repellent (called sheepskin protector)
- the Ugg sheepskin conditioner, but also..
- a sheepskin freshener, for inside odors
- and a brush and stain eraser
Costs: around $20 and free shipping! Buy right here!
Keep your classic UGG-« boots and slippers looking new with the UGG-« Care Kit The Kit contains a water and stain repellent a cleaner and conditioner a freshener and a brush for removing scuffs so that every time you step out your favorite footwear will look perfect Everything you need to care for twinface sheepskin UGGS-« Brush and scuff remover Freshening spray Cleaner and conditioner Water and stain repellent